Another Levantine mezze dish. Scrummy if left in the fridge and eaten cold with warm bread.
- Three good-sized, firm aubergines
- Olive oil
- Two cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Four tablespoons of clear honey
- 250ml boiling water
- Two teaspoons of cumin (crush your own from seeds if you want, or just use powder)
- Juice of a lemon
- Half a teaspoon of harissa (or a pinch of chilli powder if youâ€™ve no harissa)
- Salt (to taste)
Peel the aubergines and slice them into 1cm thick disks. Lighly brush with olive oil and grill until well browned (even a little burnt!). Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large, high sided frying pan. Flash fry the garlic for 30secs, then add the rest of the ingredients to form a thin sauce. Add the aubergines (in batches if they donâ€™t fit in the pan) and cook gently for ten minutes (or until theyâ€™ve absorbed the sauce). Put in a dish and leave in the fridge until chilled.