I tried this recipe but it wasn’t quite right, so here’s an amended version that’s just a bit more YUM
- 150g light peanut butter
- 250ml water
- 1 onion
- 2 red chillis (or more if you like it hot)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of peanut oil (sesame oil or sunflower oil are OK as replacements)
- A few drops of nam pla (Thai fish sauce). Veggies – you’ll need to omit this.
- Slice the onion as finely as you can. Heat up the oil in a medium sized pan and cook the onion over a low-medium heat until golden (about 5mins)
- Whilst it’s cooking finely chop the chilli (deseeding if you prefer) and peel/crush the garlic cloves. Add to the onion and cook for another minute or two until the garlic gives off a lovely aroma.
- Take off the heat. Stir in the peanut butter until really well combined, and add the sugar, lemon juice and balsamic.
- Turn up the heat a bit and return the pan. Slowly add water to the mix, stirring vigorously. Take care as the sauce will begin to bubble volcanically. Once bubbling, cook for another 3 minutes or so until it thickens.
- Season with the fish sauce. Leave to cool before serving.