We had masses of green tomatoes this year. Becs made jam, and I made some green tomato chutney. Can’t remember where I got the recipe from but this tastes amazing!
2.25kg (ish) green tomatoes
25g fresh ginger
4 red chillies
500g demerara sugar
500ml pickling vinegar
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes, cutting out the hard bit where the stalk joins. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Place the two together in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave for at least an hour; ideally overnight.
- Bring vinegar and sugar to the boil.
- Roughly chop the raisins and sultanas.
- Add tomatoes and onion mix, with the raisins and sultanas. Put in the ginger (just as a big lump – I put it in straight from the freezer where I keep ginger) and the chillies (whole is fine – you will fish them out later).
- Bringback to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for an hour or so with the lid off.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Leave in the fridge for at least a few weeks for the taste to develop.
Great with cheese!